The National Betting Authority is organising a digital conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Technologies on Wednesday 8 September 2021 at 10am.
The latest technological advancements and increased Internet accessibility are driving the evolution of the gambling industry with a radical shift towards online gambling, augmented reality and virtual gaming. Although the industry is presented with unprecedented opportunities, regulatory authorities are faced with new challenges regarding government regulation and issues of national sovereignty.
The conference, which will be moderated by Christiana Aristidou, Technology Lawyer, President of the Technology Committee of the Cyprus Bar Association, Founder and Director of “The Hybrid LawTech Firm”, empowered by CHRISTIANA ARISTIDOU LLC and will include welcome addresses by:
- Ioanna Fiakkou, President, National Betting Authority
- Kyriakos Kokkinos, Deputy Minister of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy, Republic of Cyprus
- Demetra Kalogerou, Chairwoman, Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
A presentation on Blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies in the gambling industry will follow by:
- Dr. Marinos Themistokleous, Director of the Institute of the Future (IFF) / Associate Dean of the School of Business, University of Nicosia
- Dr. Klitos Christodoulou, Assistant Professor in the Department of Digital Innovation, University of Nicosia / Research Manager, Institute for the Future (IFF)
The conference will end with a panel discussion on how Blockchain and Cryptocurrency technologies can benefit the public and private sector with the participation of:
- Giannis Menelaou, Head of Enterprise, Blockchain Technology
- Dr. Klitos Christodoulou, Assistant Professor in the Department of Digital Innovation, University of Nicosia / Research Manager, Institute for the Future (IFF • • Dr. Marinos Themistokleous, Director of the Institute of the Future (IFF) / Associate Dean of the School of Business, University of Nicosia
- Dr. Theodosis Mourouzis, Managing Director, Electi Consulting
- Spyros Tsakonitis, Legal Advisor, National Betting Authority
The aim of the conference is to discuss the latest trends in blockchain and cryptocurrency technology, while presenting the results of a study conducted with the following purpose:
- To present an analysis of the current gambling and betting landscape in Cyprus, with an emphasis on the strategy and vision for the industry.
- To present the opportunities for the industry that are likely to emerge through the use of blockchain technology, with emphasis on how the internal processes of the National Betting Authority can be supported and enhanced by its application.
- To expose the use of blockchain technology as an enabler for the development of various regulatory tools and services by discussing specific scenarios (i.e., licensing issuance, real time monitoring and fraud detection, sharing and verifying blocklists, and ensuring provable fair online gambling random processes).
- To discuss the development of a regulatory sandbox, which, under certain conditions and safeguards, can act as a testing environment for innovative gambling and gaming services in cooperation with the Regulator.
You can find the programme link here
To register online, click here.
For more information contact IMH on (+357) 22505555 or by e-mail at [email protected]
Organiser: National Betting Authority